Violence and Injury: Prevention and Intervention (Graduate Certificate)
This certificate will provide an enhanced understanding of violence and injury, which are major public health problems in our contemporary society. Injuries are the leading cause of death of children and young adults and estimates of family and community violence of all kinds are staggering. The prevalence of violence and injury affect every major health discipline as well as social services, law enforcement, and therapeutic interventions.
This Certificate is offered at the Tampa campus.
The applicant must have an earned Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited academic institution with a minimum 3.0 GPA.
Application Process for Enrollment
Call the Graduate Certificate Office at (813) 974-2442 or visit their website at http://www.usf.edu/innovative-education/programs/graduate-certificates/application-process.aspx to obtain the appropriate applications.
None are required.
Total program hours: 12 credit hours are required for completion of the Certificate.
Required Courses (9 credit hours)
- PHC 6934 Prevention and Control of Violence and Unintentional Injuries (3 credits)
- PHC 6413 Family and Community Violence in Public Health (3 credits)
- GEY 6934 Elder Mistreatment (3 credits)
Elective Courses (3 credit hours)
Three (3) graduate hours of elective courses that relates to violence and injury and preferably also emphasizes planning and evaluation of programs.
Time Limit for Completion of Certificate
Per University Policy, all Certificates have a five year time limit; however, the approximate time to complete the Certificate is three years.
Application of Certificate Courses Towards Graduate Degree
See USF Transfer of Credit Policy.
Standardized Test Requirements
International students must submit a TOEFL score when English is not the native language. A minimum score of 550 on the paper-based test or 79 on the web-based test is required.
Follow the accepted procedure for graduate level courses.
Tuition and Fees
Fees parallel that of standard graduate level classes. Please visit the USF website at http://www.usf.edu/innovative-education/programs/graduate-certificates/cost-to-attend.aspx to view current fees.
For Certificate Contact Information go to: http://www.usf.edu/innovative-education/graduate-certificates/programs/violence-and-injury-prevention-and-intervention.aspx
- This graduate certificate does not require that you submit GRE scores with your application
- You may apply and/or enroll any semester as a certificate-seeking student
- The College of Public Health website is www.publichealth.usf.edu
- The College of Public Health Community and Family Health website is http://health.usf.edu/publichealth/cfh/index.htm
- The College of Public Health graduate certificate website is http://health.usf.edu/publichealth/catalog/2012-2013/05_gradcert.html
- The College of Public Health toll-free number is 888-USF-COPH and press 1 for Student Advising
USF College of Public Health
13201 Bruce B. Downs Blvd.
Tampa FL 33612-3805
Toll Free 888-USF-COPH (press 1 for Student Advising)
Note: Changes to the certificate were approved by the Graduate Certificate council 9/14; effective Fall 2014. For previous requirements refer to 2013-2014 Catalog.