Translational Research in Adolescent Behavioral Health (Graduate Certificate)
This certificate program, funded by the National Institute on Drug Abuse, will provide an innovative education program in translational research, merging the skills and experience of USF academic researchers, local community service providers and national experts. The Department of Community and Family Health in the USF College of Public Health, the Department of Child & Family Studies in the USF College of behavioral & Community Sciences, and Community Collaborating Partners that span a range of services relevant to child and adolescent drug abuse and mental health, will work together to provide advanced training in translational research and the implementation of evidence-based practices in the areas of alcohol, drug abuse, and co-occurring disorders. Developed as a research education project, the Institute for Translational Research in Adolescent Behavioral Health will provide a team mentoring approach with student researchers and professional in the field. Paired with local and national experts serving as mentors, students and professionals will work together in the study of applied proven treatment and prevention programs while adapting them for various adolescent populations in a range of settings.
The Certificate is offered at the Tampa campus and partially online
Applicants must be currently enrolled in a Master's or Doctoral degree program in areas of mental health sciences or public health, or has completed a Master's degree in one of these fields.
Please visit http://www.usf.edu/innovative-education/programs/graduate-certificates/application-process.aspx to access the application. In addition, to the application forms please submit:
- Departmental Approval Form (Please print, sign, and submit this form with all other forms to our office).
- Official transcripts
- A resume
- Letter of Interest
- Two letters of recommendation
None are required.
Total program hours: 15 credit hours minimum.
Required Courses (15 credits)
- PHC 6539 Foundations in Adolescent Behavioral Health
- PHC 6728 Translational Research Methods in Adolescent Behavioral Health
- PHC 6729 Advanced Research Education in Adolescent Behavioral Health
- PHC 6946 Service Learning in Adolescent Behavioral Health I (2 credit hours)
- PHC 6947 Service Learning in Adolescent Behavioral Health II (2 credit hours)
- PHC 6948 Service Learning in Adolescent Behavioral Health III (2 credit hours)
Time Limit for Completion of Certificate
Per University Policy, all Certificates have a five year time limit; however, the approximate time to complete the Certificate is four semesters.
Application of Certificate Courses Towards Graduate Degree
Upon consent of the Graduate Certificate in Translational Research in Adolescent Behavioral Health Director, students may apply up to three course credits from a Supervised Field Experience or the DrPH Practice-Based Internship to fulfill the requirements of the three service learning courses. The Supervised Field Experience or the DRPH Practiced-Based Internship must include translational research or implementation science activities to be considered for possible course substitution. Also, see USF Transfer of Credit Policy.
Standardized Test Requirements
First, consult with the certificate program advisor and obtain an electronic course permit if necessary. Then go to http://usfonline.admin.usf.edu/, the link to OASIS, USF's online registration system. Follow directions given online.
To access online course materials, students must have the USF NetID (e-mail account). Please visit: https://netid.usf.edu/una/# to obtain the NetID.
New students, including those studying online, may obtain the USFCard. Please visit:http://www.usf.edu/it/class-prep/usf-card.aspx to obtain the USFCard.
For Certificate Contact Information go to: http://www.usf.edu/innovative-education/graduate-certificates/programs/translational-research-in-adolescent-behavioral-health.aspx
- The College of Public Health website is www.publichealth.usf.edu
- The College of Public Health Community and Family Health website is http://health.usf.edu/publichealth/cfh/index.htm
- The College of Public Health graduate certificate website is http://health.usf.edu/publichealth/catalog/2012-2013/05_gradcert.html
- The College of Public Health toll-free number is 888-USF-COPH and press 1 for Student Advising
USF College of Public Health
13201 Bruce B. Downs Blvd.
Tampa FL 33612-3805
Toll Free 888-USF-COPH (press 1 for Student Advising)
Note: Changes to the certificate were approved by the Graduate Certificate council January 2015; effective Spring 2015. For previous requirements refer to 2013-2014 Catalog.