Translational Research in Adolescent Behavioral Health (Graduate Certificate)
This certificate program, funded by the National Institute on Drug Abuse, will provide an innovative education program in translational research, merging the skills and experience of USF academic researchers, local community service providers and national experts. The Department of Community and Family Health in the USF College of Public Health, the Department of Child & Family Studies in the USF College of behavioral & Community Sciences, and Community Collaborating Partners that span a range of services relevant to child and adolescent drug abuse and mental health, will work together to provide advanced training in translational research and the implementation of evidence-based practices in the areas of alcohol, drug abuse, and co-occurring disorders. Developed as a research education project, the Institute for Translational Research in Adolescent Behavioral Health will provide a team mentoring approach with student researchers and professional in the field. Paired with local and national experts serving as mentors, students and professionals will work together in the study of applied proven treatment and prevention programs while adapting them for various adolescent populations in a range of settings.
Applicants must be currently enrolled in a Master's or Doctoral degree program in areas of mental health sciences or public health, or has completed a Master's degree in one of these fields.
Course Requirements: Total program hours: 15 credit hours minimum.
Required courses (12 credits)
- PHC 6546 - Foundations in Adolescent Behavioral Health
- PHC 6728 - Translational Research Methods in Adolescent Behavioral Health
- PHC 6729 - Advanced Research Education in Adolescent Behavioral Health
- PHC 6800 - Service Learning in Adolescent Behavioral Health I
- PHC 6801 - Service Learning in Adolescent Behavioral Health II
- PHC 6802 Service Learning in Adolescent Behavioral Health III
Elective courses (3)
- PHC 6035 - Co-Morbidity of Mental and Physical Disorders
- PHC 6240 - Cultural Competency in Children's Mental Health
- PHC 6414 - Adolescent Health
- PHC 6543 - Foundations in Behavioral Health Systems
- PHC 6544 - Children's Mental Health Services
- PHC 6934 - Alcohol, Drug Abuse and Dependence
- PHC 7583 - Community-Based Health Promotion
- MHS 6072 - Epidemiology and Prevention in Child Mental Health
- MHS 6073 - Child and Adolescent Psychopathology and Resilience
- MHS 6096 - Program Development & Implementation in Children's Mental Health
- MHS 6097 - Financing of Children's Mental Health Services
- MHS 7740 - Survey Course in Planning, Evaluation and Accountability
- MHS 7747 - Measurement Issues in Behavioral Services Research and Evaluation
Please visit http://www.usf.edu/innovative-education/programs/graduate-certificates/application-process.aspx to access the application. In addition, to the application forms please submit:
- Departmental Approval Form (Please print, sign, and submit this form with all other forms to our office).
- Official transcripts
- A resume
- Letter of Interest
- Two letters of recommendation
Application of Certificate Courses Towards Graduate Degree
Upon consent of the Graduate Certificate in Translational Research in Adolescent Behavioral Health Director, students may apply up to three course credits from a Supervised Field Experience or the DrPH Practice-Based Internship to fulfill the requirements of the three service learning courses. The Supervised Field Experience or the DRPH Practiced-Based Internship must include translational research or implementation science activities to be considered for possible course substitution.
First, consult with the certificate program advisor and obtain an electronic course permit if necessary. Then go to http://usfonline.admin.usf.edu/, the link to OASIS, USF's online registration system. Follow directions given online.
To access online course materials, students must have the USF NetID (e-mail account). Please visit: https://netid.usf.edu/una/# to obtain the NetID.
New students, including those studying online, may obtain the USFCard. Please visit:http://www.usf.edu/it/class-prep/usf-card.aspx to obtain the USFCard.
Time Limit for Completion of Certificate
For Certificate Contact Information go to: http://www.usf.edu/innovative-education/graduate-certificates/programs/translational-research-in-adolescent-behavioral-health.aspx
- The College of Public Health toll-free number is 888-USF-COPH and press 1 for Student Advising
USF College of Public Health
13201 Bruce B. Downs Blvd.
Tampa FL 33612-3805
Toll Free 888-USF-COPH (press 1 for Student Advising