Social Marketing and Public Health (Online Graduate Certificate)
The social marketing in public health certificate program is offered to professionals working in public health, environmental protection, financial literacy, transportation, housing, business, engineering, and other fields who wish to develop, implement and evaluate social marketing programs.
The University of South Florida, College of Public Health, has been a leader in social marketing in public health for over 10 years. Each year, USF hosts an international conference in social marketing which has drawn over 3,500 participants during the past 21 years, and a Social Marketing Field School. The University of South Florida also houses a CDC funded Prevention Research Center which is developing a community-based approach to social marketing.
This Certificate is offered largely online; however, students are encouraged to attend a two-day seminar in the Tampa Bay area at the end of the sequence. If they are unable to travel to Tampa, program faculty will make every effort to arrange an alternative meeting time and place.
1. Current enrollment, or 15 hours in a master's-level health education or public health program, OR
2. Bachelor's degree with a minimum of three years public/community health education experience
Students enrolled in other health related programs, or who do not meet these requirements will be considered on a case-by-case basis per recommendation of the certificate advisor.
Call the Graduate Certificate Office at (813) 974-2442 or visit their website at http://www.usf.edu/innovative-education/programs/graduate-certificates/application-process.aspx to obtain the appropriate applications.
None are required
Total program hours: 12 credit hours are required for completion of the Certificate. Four of these courses are offered online. The Capstone course can be completed anywhere, although students are strongly encouraged to attend a two-day seminar in the Tampa Bay area to share their special project results and participate in a graduation ceremony at the Social Marketing conference.
- PHC 6411 Introduction to Social Marketing for Public Health (3 credits)
- PHC 6705 Formative Research Methods in Social Marketing (3 credits)
- PHC 6460 Social Marketing Program Management (3 credits)
- PHC 6461 Advanced Social Marketing Program Management (3 credits)
Time Limit for Completion of Certificate
Standardized Test Requirements
International students must submit a TOEFL score when English is not the native language. A minimum score of 550 on the paper-based test or 79 on the web-based test is required.
Follow the accepted procedure for graduate level courses.
Tuition and Fees
Fees depend on residential status. Please contact Bobbi Rose at (813)-974-6158 for help assessing the cost of each course.
Department Contact Information
Dr. Carol Bryant
- This graduate certificate does not require that you submit GRE scores with your application
- You may apply and/or enroll any semester as a certificate-seeking student
- The College of Public Health website is www.publichealth.usf.edu
- The College of Public Health Community and Family Health website is http://health.usf.edu/publichealth/cfh/index.htm
- The College of Public Health graduate certificate website is http://health.usf.edu/publichealth/catalog/2012-2013/05_gradcert.html
- The College of Public Health toll-free number is 888-USF-COPH and press 1 for Student Advising
USF College of Public Health
13201 Bruce B. Downs Blvd.
Tampa FL 33612-3805
Toll Free 888-USF-COPH (press 1 for Student Advising)
Note: Changes to the certificate were approved by the Graduate Certificate council 9/14; effective Fall 2014. For previous requirements refer to 2013-2014 Catalog.