Public Health Policy and Programs (Online Graduate Certificate)
This certificate is designed to serve persons who want to enhance knowledge and skills in management of programs and public policies that advance the health of communities and populations, and who may not be available in the local community to do so.
Completion of this Certificate requires 14 to 15 credit hours.
Required (6 credits)
- PHC 6102 Principles of Health policy and management (web format) (3)
- PHC 6421 Public Health Law and Ethics (web format) (3)
Elective Courses (3 courses)
Three courses to be chosen based on the student's interests and professional goals from the following list:
- PHC 6104 Management of Public Health Programs (web format) (3)
- PHC 6146 Health Services Planning (web format) (3)
- PHC 6147 Managing Quality in Health Care (web format) (2)
- PHC 6197 Information Management in Public Health (web format) (3)
- PHC 6110 International Health and Health Care Systems (web format) (3)
- PHC 6195 Public Health Data Information and Decision Making (3)
The applicant must have an earned bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited academic institution with a minimum 3.0 GPA and at least one of the following:
- At least two years of appropriate work experience, as determined by the department's admissions committee, OR
- Concurrent enrollment in a graduate degree program, OR
- A graduate degree
Application Process for Enrollment
Call the Graduate Certificate Office at (813) 974-2442 or visit their website at http://www.gradcerts.usf.edu/admissions.asp to obtain the appropriate applications.
In addition to the application forms, please submit:
- Official transcripts showing attainment of the bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
- A copy of the diploma
- A 250-word letter of interest stating your objectives in pursuing this course of study
- A resume
For international students, a copy of their degree that is equivalent to the Bachelor's degree along with a certified copy of their transcript is required. Graduate students from the College of Public Health are exempt from the above requirements except for the Departmental Approval Form.
Standardized Test Requirements
There are no specific test requirements.
Application of Certificate Courses Toward Graduate Degree
Up to 12 credit hours may be applied contingent upon departmental approval.
Registration Process for Individual Courses
First, consult with the certificate program advisor and obtain an electronic course permit if necessary. Then go to http://usfonline.admin.usf.edu/, the link to OASIS, USF's on-line registration system. Follow directions given on-line.
Time Limit for Completion of Certificate
Three (3) year maximum
Tuition and fees
Standard graduate tuition rates and fees apply for graduate students who also pursue this graduate certificate and for non-degree graduate certificate students taking these courses on campus. Please visit http://www.gradcerts.usf.edu/certificates/xph.html for tuition information.
This certificate is offered online.
This certificate is offered through Web-based courses that do not require scheduled class times.
Department contact information
Dr. Barbara L. Orban (813) 974-0346 or firstname.lastname@example.org
New Student Advisor
Pre-Admission Counseling and Advising (813) 974-6665 or email@example.com
- This graduate certificate does not require that you submit GRE scores with your application
- You may apply and/or enroll any semester as a certificate student.
USF College of Public Health
13201 Bruce B. Downs Blvd.
Tampa FL 33612-3805
Toll Free 888-USF- COPH (press 1 for Student Advisor)