Public Health Generalist (Online Graduate Certificate)
This certificate program aims at serving the following groups:
1) Students who are undecided about a specific concentration area in the College of Public Health;
2) Students who are only interested in completing a few courses, not an MPH;
3) Physicians or nurses who want to explore public health and
4) Public health professionals who want additional graduate-level credentials.
This Public Health Generalist certificate facilitates and encourages formal training not only for our public health workforce, but also for students and professionals interested in the future of our profession. Once obtained, this certificate allows individuals to continue in a chosen track if departmental criteria for admission are met, while receiving up to 12 hours of credit toward a graduate degree for the core courses completed and passed. This certificate program helps students gain an overview of the core public health disciplines in addition to exploring and discovering some exciting career paths.
This certificate is offered online.
The applicant must hold an earned bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited academic institution. International students must provide certified, translated transcripts showing the equivalency to the U.S. bachelor's degree. Students are required to have a minimum GPA of 3.0.
Call the Graduate Certificate Office at (813) 974-2442 or visit http://www.usf.edu/innovative-education/programs/graduate-certificates/application-process.aspx to download an application. In addition, to the application forms please submit:
- Official Transcripts
- A resume
- A 250-word letter of interest stating your objectives in pursuing this course of study
- Two letters of recommendation
- Students must have consent of the instructor to take courses.
- Prerequisite for PHC 6050 is College Algebra
Total program hours: Fifteen (15) semester hours. Students are required to satisfactorily complete the five core courses in order to receive their certificate. Each core course is a 3-hour course.
Required (15 credits)
- PHC 6000 Epidemiology (3)
- PHC 6050 Biostatistics I (3)
- PHC 6102 Principles of Health Policy and Management (3)
- PHC 6410 Social and Behavioral Sciences Applied to Health (3)
- PHC 6357 Environmental and Occupational Health (3)
Time Limit for Completion of Certificate
Per University Policy, all Certificates have a five year time limit; however, the approximate time to complete the Certificate is three years.
Application of Certificate Courses Toward Graduate Degree
See USF Transfer of Credit Policy.
Standardized Test Requirements
International students must submit a TOEFL score when English is not the native language. A minimum score of 550 on the paper-based test or 79 on the web-based test is required.
First, consult with the certificate program advisor and obtain an electronic course permit if necessary. Then go to http://usfonline.admin.usf.edu/ , the link to OASIS, USF's on-line registration system. Follow directions given on-line.
Tuition and Fees
Standard graduate tuition rates and fees apply for graduate students who also pursue this graduate certificate and for non-degree graduate certificate students taking these courses on campus. Please visit http://www.usf.edu/innovative-education/programs/graduate-certificates/cost-to-attend.aspx for tuition rates.
Certificate Contact Information
Dr. Kate Wolfe-Quintero
Pre Admissions Advising - Public Health
- This graduate certificate does not require that you submit GRE scores with your application
- You may apply and/or enroll any semester as a certificate student.
- The College of Public Health website is http://www.publichealth.usf.edu
- The College of Public Health Health Policy and Management website is http://health.usf.edu/publichealth/hpm/index.htm
USF College of Public Health
13201 Bruce B. Downs Blvd.
Tampa FL 33612-3805
Toll Free 888-USF-COPH (press 1 for Student Advising)