(See also USF Undergraduate Catalog at: http://ugs.usf.edu/pdf/cat1516/18PublicHealth.pdf)
Nutrition is both personally and professionally relevant, emphasizing health promotion, optimal human performance, disease prevention, quality of life and longevity. Career opportunities that are complemented by a nutrition minor include Public Health, health sciences, food technology, psychology, gerontology, social work, health promotion and communication, etc., with potential employment in the public and/or private sector. Graduates also develop a foundation needed to enter and succeed in a variety of professional career paths, including Public Health, Clinical Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing, Doctoral studies in Health and Behavioral Sciences, Dietetics, etc.
The minor in Nutrition consists of a minimum of 15 credit hours with a C- and a minimum 2.00 average in the 15 credits that are required for obtaining this minor. No courses can be applied toward both a major and a minor in Public Health.
15 credit hours:
- HUN 2201 Nutrition(3)
- Electives Courses (choose four of the following courses):
- HUN 3272 Sports Nutrition
- HUN 3296 Nutrition and Disease
- HUN 3126 Food and Culture
- HSC 4573 Foundations of Food Safety
- HUN 3403 Nutrition and the Life Cycle
- DIE 3310 Community Nutrition
Up to six credit hours in Nutrition may be accepted for the minor through partnering with other programs such as Anthropology, Education and Nursing, etc., as approved by an advisor. It is highly recommended that students meet with an advisor in the College of Public Health early to verify coursework for the minor.
Each academic minor must conform:
- A minimum of 8 semester hours of credit used to satisfy the requirements of a minor must be from USF courses.
- A student desiring a minor must have a major in a different program option.
- USF coursework for a minor must have a GPA of at least 2.0.
- Only an undergraduate degree-seeking student at USF is eligible for a minor.
- A minor can be applied for and received only in conjunction with applying for and receiving a baccalaureate degree except for students who have already received a baccalaureate degree from USF who may earn certification of a minor by taking additional undergraduate coursework at the University and applying for the certification.
Declaring the Nutrition Minor
Make sure you have completed all 15 hours of required and elective courses.
You will declare the Nutrition minor on your Bachelor’s Degree Application when you are preparing to graduate. (Check with your department and the Registrars Office on semesters deadlines for the application)
The minor will be displayed on your USF official transcript. You will not receive any tangible documentations or certificates from the College of Public Health for completion of the Nutrition minor.
Undergraduate Academic Advisor
- Schedule your advising appointment at: http://usfweb3.usf.edu/appointments/StudentSignon.asp
- Office: CPH 1039; Email: UG-PublicHealthAdvising@health.usf.edu; Phone: 813-974-4633; FAX: 813-905-9802