Infection Control Minor
(See also USF Undergraduate Catalog at: http://www.ugs.usf.edu/catalog/?catyr=1415&category=toc)
The Infection Control Minor is based on the competencies in the National Board Certification Exam for Infection Control. The minor will provide a foundation of infection prevention and control principles for individuals interested in pursuing a career in infection prevention and control at a healthcare facility or alternate setting; or those who need this knowledge base to pursue opportunities at a local, state or national public health department; a governmental agency; an academic and/or research institution; or any other applicable arena.
The minor in Infection Control consists of a minimum of 15 credit hours with a C- and a minimum 2.00 average in the 15 credits that are required for obtaining this minor.
It is recommended that students follow the sequence of courses listed below. These courses will give students a broad overview of environmental and occupational health concepts. No additional departmental courses are required for the completion of the environmental and occupational health minor.
15 credit hours:
- PHC 4032 Foundations of Infection Control (3)
- HSC 4504 Foundations of Public Health Immunology (3)
- HSC 4031 Emerging Infectious Diseases (3)
- HSC 4430 Occupational Health & Safety (3)
- HSC 4573 Foundations of Food Safety (3)
Each academic minor must conform:
- A minimum of 8 semester hours of credit used to satisfy the requirements of a minor must be from USF courses.
- A student desiring a minor must have a major in a different program option.
- USF coursework for a minor must have a GPA of at least 2.0.
- Only an undergraduate degree-seeking student at USF is eligible for a minor.
- A minor can be applied for and received only in conjunction with applying for and receiving a baccalaureate degree except for students who have already received a baccalaureate degree from USF who may earn certification of a minor by taking additional undergraduate coursework at the University and applying for the certification.
Declaring the Infection Control Minor
Make sure you have completed all 15 hours of required and elective courses
You will declare the Infection Control minor on your Bachelor’s Degree Application when you are preparing to graduate. (Check with your department and the Registrar’s Office on semesters deadlines for the application)
The minor will be displayed on your USF official transcript. You will not receive any tangible documentations or certificates from the College of Public Health for completion of the Infection Control minor.
Undergraduate Academic Advisor
- Schedule your advising appointment at: http://usfweb3.usf.edu/appointments/StudentSignon.asp
- Office: CPH 1039; Email: UG-PublicHealthAdvising@health.usf.edu; Phone: 813-974-4633; FAX: 813-905-9802