General Public Health Minor
(See also USF Undergraduate Catalog at: http://www.ugs.usf.edu/catalog/?catyr=1415&category=toc)
The goal of the General Public Health Minor is to develop in a broad range of students an understanding and appreciation of the field of Public Health
Upon completion of the General Public Health Minor coursework, a student will be able to:
- Articulate the role of public health in disease prevention and health promotion at the local, state, national and global level.
- Describe public health functions and concepts.
- Discuss and analyze current public health issues.
- Describe career paths in public health.
- Develop an understanding of public health that can serve as a foundation for the pursuit of graduate public health degrees.
The General Public Health Minor consists of 18 credit hours
It is recommended that students follow the sequence of courses listed below. These courses will give students a broad overview of public health concepts. Departmental courses can then be selected from a wide range of College of Public Health courses in consultation with the undergraduate academic advisors. Students are encouraged to select departmental courses that provide a cohesive learning experience based on their individual interests and goals and may involve selecting courses from a department or emphasis area, assisted by academic advisors in the student’s major and College of Public Health.
Required Courses (9 credit hours)
Introduction to Public Health
Survey of Human Diseases
Introduction to Epidemiology
Elective Departmental Courses (9 credit hours)
Sex, Health and Decision-Making
Introduction to Environmental & Occupational Health
Contemporary Health Science
Human Structure and Function
Emerging Infectious Diseases
Biostatistics in Society
Prevention of Mental Illness
Women’s Health: A Public Health Perspective
Health, Behavior and Society
Pop Culture, Vices and Epidemiology
Foundations of Public Health Immunology
Stress, Health and College Life
Foundations of Food Safety
Foundations of Maternal and Child Health
Foundations of Global Health
Understanding U.S. Health Care
Critical Issues in Public Health
Foundations of Professional Writing in Public Health
Health Care Ethics
Special Topics in Public Health
Public Health Field Seminar
HSC 4933 Special Topics in Public Health**
Foundations of Infection Control
**Please see academic advisor for selection of special topics courses.
Other special topics subjects may be offered depending upon student demand and instructor availability.
It is highly recommended that you meet with an advisor in the College of Public Health early to verify coursework to make sure your minor requirement will be meet by your semester of graduation.
(Each academic minor must conform):
- A minimum of 8 semester hours of credit used to satisfy the requirements of a minor must be from USF courses.
- A student desiring a minor must have a major in a different program option.
- USF coursework for a minor must have a GPA of at least 2.0.
- Only an undergraduate degree-seeking student at USF is eligible for a minor.
- A minor can be applied for and received only in conjunction with applying for and receiving a baccalaureate degree except for students who have already received a baccalaureate degree from USF who may earn certification of a minor by taking additional undergraduate coursework at the University and applying for the certification.
Declaring a General Public Health Minor
Make sure you have completed all 18 hours of required and elective courses
You will declare the General Public Health minor on your Bachelor’s Degree Application when you are preparing to graduate. (Check with your department and the Registrar's Office on semesters deadlines for the application)
The minor will be displayed on your USF official transcript. You will not receive any tangible documentations or certificates from the College of Public Health for completion of the General Public Health minor.
For more information, contact the:
Undergraduate Academic Advisor
- Schedule your advising appointment at: http://usfweb3.usf.edu/appointments/StudentSignon.asp
- Office: CPH 1039; Email: UG-PublicHealthAdvising@health.usf.edu; Phone: 813-974-4633; FAX: 813-905-9802