Maternal and Child Health (Graduate Certificate)
The certificate in maternal and child health (MCH) is designed to provide specialized training in public health problems affecting infants, children, adolescents, and women of all ages. Required coursework is designed to overview the major health issues affecting MCH populations, develop methodological skills selected areas, such as data analysis, program planning and evaluation and research. Support courses allow students to focus some of their coursework in selected areas of MCH interest.
The certificate program has been developed for the following groups:
- Public health practitioners
- MPH students who desire focused graduate level training in MCH.
Course and Credit Hours
Fifteen + credit hours are required for completion of the Certificate. If students do not have a background in Maternal and Child Health a prerequisite course is required (HSC 4423 Foundations of Maternal and Child Health which is offered online every semester). This course will not count towards the certificate credit.
Required Courses (6 credits)
- PHC 6530 Maternal and Child Health I (3 credits)
- Public Health Methods (3 credits) such as:
- PHC 6708 Evaluation Methods in Community Health (3)
- PHC 6505 Program Planning in Community Health (3)
- PHC 6197 Community Health Data Sources (3)
- PHC 6715 Research Foundations in Public Health (3)
MCH Electives (9-12 credits)
Selected with program advisor. Electives will be selected based on student’s experience and career goals/plans. Some examples of elective courses include: Reproductive Health Trends and Issues; Maltreated Children and Their Families; and Children’s Mental Health Services.
Application Process for Enrollment
Call the Graduate Certificate Office at (813) 974-2442 or visit their website at http://www.gradcerts.usf.edu/ to obtain the appropriate applications.
Standardization Test Requirements
There are no specific test requirements.
Registration Process for Individual Courses
Follow the accepted procedure for graduate level courses.
Time Limit for Completion of Certificate
Certificate programs should be completed within five (5) semesters
Fees per Course / Credit Hour
Fees parallel that of standard graduate level courses. Please visit the USF website at http://usfweb2.usf.edu/uco/cashaccounting/tuition.asp to view current fees.
This Certificate is offered at the Tampa campus.
Department contact information
Kristi James at (813)396-9103 or email@example.com
New Student Advisor
Pre-Admission Counseling and Advising (813) 974-6665 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- This graduate certificate does not require that you submit GRE scores with your application.
- You may apply and/or enroll any semester as a certificate-seeking student.
- The College of Public Health website is http://www.publichealth.usf.edu. The College of Public Health graduate certificate website is http://health.usf.edu/publichealth/catalog/2012-2013/05_gradcert.html
- The College of Public Health toll-free number is 888-USF-COPH and press 1 for Student Advising.
USF College of Public Health
13201 Bruce B. Downs Blvd.
Tampa Florida 33612-3805
Toll Free 888-USF-COPH