Humanitarian Assistance (Online Graduate Certificate)
The Graduate Certificate in Humanitarian Assistance is intended for public health professionals, as well as other humanitarian aid providers, who are interested in enhancing their knowledge of the foundations and principles of humanitarian assistance, while providing mechanisms for putting that knowledge into practice. This certificate is designed to supplement and enhance the work related experiences of professionals who are serving those affected by humanitarian emergencies, either in the United States or abroad, while also providing a foundation for persons that wish to pursue such as career. The Certificate aims to engage students in critical thinking skills, enabling them to help develop more effective aid delivery systems. The Certificate is also intended to enhance the leadership and management skills for public health professionals working with populations in need of humanitarian assistance, particularly international refugees and displaced populations. The curriculum is interdisciplinary in nature and scope and designed to develop and improve the skills of persons interested in providing emergency health services in humanitarian emergencies.
This certificate is fully online.
The applicant must hold a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution with a minimum 3.0 GPA.
Call the Graduate Certificate Office at (813) 974-2442 or visit their website at http://www.usf.edu/innovative-education/programs/graduate-certificates/application-process.aspx to download an application. In addition, to the application forms please submit:
- Official transcripts showing attainment of the bachelor's degree if from other than USF. International applicants must provide original transcripts certified as equivalent to the U.S. bachelor's degree.
- A 250-word letter of interest stating why you wish to pursue this course of study
- A resume
The applicant must document that s/he has the graduate-level knowledge required to enroll in the certificate courses. In addition, the applicant must hold a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution.
Required (12 credits) - Courses are sequenced. Each required course listed below is the prerequisite for the one following it.
- PHC 6230 - Foundations of Humanitarian Assistance (3)
- PHC 6231 - Organizing Emergency Humanitarian Actions (3)
- PHC 6232 - From Emergency to Development and Prevention (3)
- PHC 6233 - Current Challenges in the Humanitarian Field (3)
Time Limit for Completion of Certificate
Per University Policy, all Certificates have a five year time limit; however, the approximate time to complete the Certificate is four years.
Application of Certificate Courses Toward Graduate Degree
See USF Transfer of Credit Policy.
Standardized Test Requirements
International students must submit a TOEFL score when English is not the native language. A minimum score of 550 on the paper-based test or 79 on the web-based test is required.
First, consult with the certificate program advisor and obtain an electronic course permit if necessary. Then go to http://usfonline.admin.usf.edu/ , the link to OASIS, USF's on-line registration system. Follow directions given on-line.
Tuition and Fees
Standard graduate tuition rates and fees apply for graduate students who also pursue this graduate certificate and for non-degree graduate certificate students taking these courses on campus. Please visit http://www.usf.edu/innovative-education/programs/graduate-certificates/cost-to-attend.aspx for tuition information.
Certificate Contact Information
Ismael Hoare Ph.D.
Boo Kwa, Ph.D.
Pre Admissions Advising - Public Health
- This graduate certificate does not require that you submit GRE scores with your application
- You may apply and/or enroll any semester as a certificate student.
- The College of Public Health website is http://www.publichealth.usf.edu
- The College of Public Health Global Health website is http://health.usf.edu/publichealth/gh/index.htm
- The College of Public Health graduate certificate website is http://health.usf.edu/publichealth/catalog/2012-2013/05_gradcert.html
USF College of Public Health
13201 Bruce B. Downs Blvd.
Tampa FL 33612-3805
Toll Free 888-USF-COPH (press 1 for Student Advising)