Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases (Online Graduate Certificate)
The purpose of this certificate is to provide students with an in depth understanding of the implications of epidemiological methods with the context of infectious disease. Required courses provide an overview of basic epidemiologic and biostatistical concepts, and cover epidemiologic methods specifically applied to infectious diseases on the basic and advance courses for a more in depth training. To provide additional information on other public health techniques on infectious diseases this certificate requires the selection of one of the elective courses suggested.
This course is offered partially online and at the Tampa campus.
Applicants must hold an earned bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution with a minimum 3.0 GPA.
Please visit http://www.usf.edu/innovative-education/programs/graduate-certificates/application-process.aspx to access the application. In addition, to the application forms please submit:
- Official transcripts
- Letter of interest
None are required
Total program hours: 15 credit hours minimum.
Required Courses (12 credits)
- PHC 6000 – Epidemiology (3)
- PHC 6050 – Biostatistics I (3)
- PHC 6002 – Infectious Disease Epidemiology (3)
- PHC 6006 – Epidemiological Methods in Infectious Disease (3)
Elective Courses (3 credits)
- PHC 6251 – Disease Surveillance and Monitoring (3)
- PHC 6517 – Infectious Diseases Prevention Strategies (3)
- PHC 6562 – Microbiology for Health Care Workers (3)
Time Limit for Completion of Certificate
Courses must be completed in two years.
Application of Certificate Courses Toward Graduate Degree
Up to 12 hours of certificate course credits may be applied to a graduate degree with departmental approval.
Standardized Test Requirements
International students must submit a TOEFL score when English is not the native language. A minimum score of 550 on the paper-based test or 79 on the web-based test is required.
First, consult with the certificate program advisor and obtain an electronic course permit if necessary. Then go to http://usfonline.admin.usf.edu/, the link to OASIS, USF's online registration system. Follow directions given online.
To access online course materials, students must have the USF NetID (e-mail account). Please visit: https://netid.usf.edu/una/# to obtain the NetID.
New students, including those studying online, may obtain the USFCard. Please visit: http://www.usf.edu/it/class-prep/usf-card.aspx to obtain the USFCard.
Tuition and Fees
Standard graduate tuition rates and fees apply for graduate students who also pursue this graduate certificate and for non-degree graduate certificate students taking these courses on campus. Please visit http://www.usf.edu/innovative-education/programs/graduate-certificates/cost-to-attend.aspx for information on tuition and fees.
Non-degree seeking students and transfer students may apply one course to a graduate certificate with departmental approval.
Certificate Contact Information
New Student Advisor
Pre-Admission Counseling and Advising
- This graduate certificate does not require that you submit GRE scores with your application
- You may apply and/or enroll any semester as a certificate-seeking student
- The College of Public Health website is http://www.publichealth.usf.edu
- The College of Public Health Epidemiology and Biostatistics website is http://health.usf.edu/publichealth/epb/index.htm
- The College of Public Health graduate certificate website is http://health.usf.edu/publichealth/catalog/2012-2013/05_gradcert.html
- The College of Public Health toll-free number is 888-USF-COPH and press 1 for Student Advising
USF College of Public Health
13201 Bruce B. Downs Blvd.
Tampa FL 33612-3805
Toll Free 888-USF-COPH (press 1 for Student Advising)