Environmental Health (Graduate Certificate)
This certificate provides students with an understanding of the interrelationships between humans and their environment and the tools necessary for addressing environmental threats to health. Enrollment is expected from graduate students in multiple disciplines and professionals who work in related fields. Benefits include providing needed professional training for appropriately addressing community environmental health challenges. This certificate program will help to build one of the major initiatives at USF in Sustainable Healthy Communities.
This certificate is offered at the Tampa campus and partially online.
The applicant must hold a bachelor’s degree in a science-based field (e.g. life science, natural science, engineering, social science) with a minimum 3.0 GPA from a regionally accredited institution. International applicants must provide original transcripts certified as equivalent to the U.S. bachelor's degree.
Please visit http://www.usf.edu/innovative-education/programs/graduate-certificates/application-process.aspx to access the application. In addition, to the application forms please submit:
- Letter of interest
- Official transcripts
One course each in college-level chemistry and college-level calculus.
Total program hours: 12 credit hours
- PHC 6301 Water Pollution and Treatment (3)
- PHC 6303 Community Air Pollution (3)
- PHC 6310 Environmental and Occupational Toxicology (3)
Choose three credits from below.
- PHC 6305 Environmental Analytical Lab (3)
- PHC 6312 Environmental Fate of Chemical Releases (3)
- PHC 6313 Indoor Environmental Quality (3)
- PHC 6353 Environmental Risk Assessment (2)
- PHC 6422 Environmental Health Law (2)
- PHC 6930 Public Health Seminar, ERIC (1)
- PHC 6934 & PHC 7935 Environmental Health Special Topics Courses, by approval; e.g. Environmental Health Chemistry (3), Environmental Epidemiology (3), Environmental Modeling (3)
Time Limit for Completion of Certificate
Per University Policy, all Certificates have a five year time limit; however, the approximate time to complete the Certificate is three years.
Application of Certificate Courses Towards Graduate Degree
See USF Transfer of Credit Policy.
Standardized Test Requirements
International students must submit a TOEFL score when English is not the native language. A minimum score of 550 on the paper-based test or 79 on the web-based test is required.
First, consult with the certificate program advisor and obtain an electronic course permit if necessary. Then go to http://usfonline.admin.usf.edu/, the link to OASIS, USF's on-line registration system. Follow directions given on-line.
To access online course materials, students must have the USF NetID (e-mail account). Please visit: https://netid.usf.edu/una/# to obtain the NetID.
New students, including those studying online, may obtain the USFCard. Please visit: http://www.usf.edu/it/class-prep/usf-card.aspx to obtain the USFCard.
Tuition and Fees
Fees parallel that of standard graduate-level courses. Please visit http://www.usf.edu/innovative-education/programs/graduate-certificates/cost-to-attend.aspx.
Students may transfer credit from one course into the certificate with department approval.
Certificate Contact Information
Amy L. Stuart
Pre Admissions Advising - Public Health
- The College of Public Health website is http://www.publichealth.usf.edu
- The College of Public Health Environmental and Occupational Health website is http://health.usf.edu/publichealth/eoh/index.htm
- The College of Public Health graduate certificate website is http://health.usf.edu/publichealth/catalog/2012-2013/05_gradcert.html
USF College of Public Health
13201 Bruce B. Downs Blvd.
Tampa FL 33612-3805
Toll Free 888-USF-COPH (press 1 for Student Advising)