Disaster Management (Online Graduate Certificate)
The Graduate Certificate in Disaster Management will enhance the knowledge base of public health professionals, as well as other disaster management personnel in the management, preparedness, response, and recovery from natural and man-made disasters. The design of the Certificate engages the student in critical thinking skills that enable them to reduce the health complexities of disasters. The Certificate is also intended to increase the managerial and leadership skills of public health professionals working with international refugees and displaced populations after a disaster.
This Certificate is offered only on-line with computer-specific requirements. For information on accessing the university web portal, myUSF, please visit: http://health.usf.edu/publichealth/eta/students_tech_requirements.htm
The applicant must hold a bachelor's degree with a minimum 3.0 GPA from a regionally accredited institution. International applicants must provide original transcripts certified as equivalent to the U.S. bachelor's degree. Please visit http://global.usf.edu/ for more information on international admissions.
Please visit http://www.usf.edu/innovative-education/programs/graduate-certificates/application-process.aspx to access the application. In addition, to the application forms please submit:
- Official transcripts showing attainment of the bachelor's degree if from other than USF. International applicants must provide original transcripts certified as equivalent to the U.S. bachelor's degree.
- A 250-word letter of interest stating why you wish to pursue this course of study
- A resume
- A letter from a supervisor if a waiver of the field experience is being considered.
PHC 6183 - Overview of United States and International Emergency/Disaster Management (3)
Total program hours: Fifteen (12-15) credit hours are required for completion of the Certificate Program
- PHC 6183 Overview of United States and International Emergency/Disaster Management (3 credits)
- PHC 6185 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness and Planning (3 credits)
- PHC 6184 Emergency/Disaster Recovery (3 credits)
- PHC 6186 Public Health Emergencies in Large Populations (3 credits)
- PHC 6945 Supervised Field Experience (3 credits)
Note: By departmental discretion, this may be waived if a student has completed a previous field experience or has at least one year experience in the field of study.
Time Limit for Completion of Certificate
Per University Policy, all Certificates have a five year time limit; however, the approximate time to complete the Certificate is three years.
Application of Certificate Courses Towards Graduate Degree
See USF Transfer of Credit Policy.
Standardized Test Requirements
International students must submit a TOEFL score when English is not the native language. A minimum score of 550 on the paper-based test or 79 on the web-based test is required.
Follow the accepted procedure for graduate level courses.
Tuition and Fees
Standard graduate tuition rates and fees apply for graduate students who also pursue this graduate certificate and for non-degree graduate certificate students taking these courses on campus. Please visit http://www.usf.edu/innovative-education/programs/graduate-certificates/cost-to-attend.aspx for tuition information.
Certificate Contact Information
Ismael Hoare Ph.D.
Pre Admissions Advising - Public Health
- This graduate certificate does not require that you submit GRE scores with your application
- You may apply any semester as a certificate-seeking student, however, the course sequence begins in the fall semester with two courses, the spring semester with two courses, and then ends in the summer semester with the field experience.
- The College of Public Health website is http://www.publichealth.usf.edu
- The College of Public Health Global Health website is http://health.usf.edu/publichealth/gh/index.htm
USF College of Public Health
13201 Bruce B. Downs Blvd.
Tampa FL 33612-3805
Toll Free 888-USF-COPH (press 1 for Student Advising)