Concepts and Tools of Epidemiology (Online Graduate Certificate)
The on-line Graduate Certificate in Epidemiology is designed to combine basic training in epidemiologic concepts and methods with specialized training in epidemiologic disease areas and analytic/data skills. Required coursework provides an overview of basic epidemiologic concepts, methods and analytic/statistical tools while the electives provide more in depth training in several epidemiologic specialty areas and the development of skills in data analysis/computer applications. The goal of the certificate is to provide students with an understanding of concepts and tools of epidemiology and in depth knowledge of selected disease areas of public health importance.
This certificate is offered fully online.
Applicants must hold an earned bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution with a minimum 3.0 GPA.
Please visit http://www.usf.edu/innovative-education/programs/graduate-certificates/application-process.aspx to access the application. In addition, to the application forms please submit:
- Official transcripts
- Letter of interest
None are required.
Total program hours: 12 credit hours minimum.
Required Courses (6 credits)
- PHC 6000 Epidemiology (3)
- PHC 6050 Biostatistics I (3)
Elective Courses (6 credits)
One of the following analytical courses:
- PHC 6051 Biostatistics II (3)
- PHC 6701 Computer Applications for Public Health Researchers (3)
One of the following specialization courses:
- PHC 6591 Reproductive and Perinatal Epidemiology (3)
- PHC 6008 Cardiovascular Disease Epidemiology (3)
- PHC 6002 Infectious Disease Epidemiology (3)
- PHC 6007 Cancer Epidemiology (3)
Time Limit for Completion of Certificate
Per University Policy, all Certificates have a five year time limit; however, the approximate time to complete the Certificate is two years.
Application of Certificate Courses Towards Graduate Degree
See USF Transfer of Credit Policy.
Standardized Test Requirements
International students must submit a TOEFL score when English is not the native language. A minimum score of 550 on the paper-based test or 79 on the web-based test is required.
First, consult with the certificate program advisor and obtain an electronic course permit if necessary. Then go to http://usfonline.admin.usf.edu/, the link to OASIS, USF's online registration system. Follow directions given online.
To access online course materials, students must have the USF NetID (e-mail account). Please visit: https://netid.usf.edu/una/# to obtain the NetID.
New students, including those studying online, may obtain the USFCard. Please visit: http://www.usf.edu/it/class-prep/usf-card.aspx to obtain the USFCard.
Tuition and Fees
Standard graduate tuition rates and fees apply for graduate students who also pursue this graduate certificate and for non-degree graduate certificate students taking these courses on campus. Please visit http://www.usf.edu/innovative-education/programs/graduate-certificates/cost-to-attend.aspx for information on tuition and fees
Certificate Contact Information
Pre Admissions Advising - Public Health
- This graduate certificate does not require that you submit GRE scores with your application
- You may apply and/or enroll any semester as a certificate-seeking student
- The College of Public Health website is http://www.publichealth.usf.edu
- The College of Public Health Epidemiology and Biostatistics website is http://health.usf.edu/publichealth/epb/index.htm
- The College of Public Health toll-free number is 888-USF-COPH and press 1 for Student Advising
USF College of Public Health
13201 Bruce B. Downs Blvd.
Tampa FL 33612-3805
Toll Free 888-USF-COPH (press 1 for Student Advising)