Public Health (Undergraduate Certificate)
(See also USF Undergraduate Catalog at: http://ugs.usf.edu/pdf/cat1516/18PublicHealth.pdf)
The goal of the Public Health Certificate is to develop in a broad range of students an understanding and appreciation of the field of Public Health.
Upon completion of the Public Health Certificate coursework, a student will be able to:
- Articulate the role of public health in disease prevention and health promotion at the local, state, national and global level.
- Describe public health functions and concepts.
- Discuss and analyze current public health issues.
- Describe career paths in public health.
- Develop an understanding of public health that can serve as a foundation for the pursuit of graduate public health degrees.
The Public Health Certificate consists of 18 credit hours
It is recommended that students follow the sequence of courses listed below. These courses will give students a broad overview of public health concepts. Departmental courses can then be selected from a wide range of College of Public Health courses in consultation with the undergraduate academic advisors. Students are encouraged to select departmental courses that provide a cohesive learning experience based on their individual interests and goals and may involve selecting courses from a department or emphasis area, assisted by academic advisors in the student’s major and College of Public Health.
Required Courses (9 credit hours)
- PHC 4101 Introduction to Public Health (3)
- HSC 4551 Survey of Human Diseases (3)
- PHC 4030 Introduction to Epidemiology (3)
Elective Departmental Courses (9 credit hours)
- HSC 2130 Sex, Health and Decision-Making (3)
- PHC 3302 Introduction to Environmental & Occupational Health (3)
- HSC 2100 Contemporary Health Science (3)
- HSC 4537 Medical Terminology (3)
- HSC 3541 Human Structure and Function (3)
- PHC 4031 Emerging Infectious Diseases (3)
- PHC 4069 Biostatistics in Society (3)
- HSC 4134 Prevention of Mental Illness (3)
- HSC 4172 Women’s Health: A Public Health Perspective (3)
- HSC 4211 Health, Behavior and Society (3)
- PHC 4406 Pop Culture, Vices and Epidemiology (3)
- HSC 4504 Foundations of Public Health Immunology 3
- PHC 4542 Stress, Health and College Life (3)
- HSC 4573 Foundations of Food Safety (3)
- HSC 4579 Foundations of Maternal and Child Health (3)
- HSC 4624 Foundations of Global Health (3)
- HSC 4630 Understanding U.S. Health Care (3)
- HSC 4631 Critical Issues in Public Health (3)
- PHC 4720 Foundations of Professional Writing in Public Health (3)
- PHC 4931 Health Care Ethics (3)
- PHC 4942 Field Experience in Public Health (3)
- HSC 4933 Special Topics in Public Health**
- Foundations of Infection Control (3)
**Please see academic advisor for selection of special topics courses.
Other special topics subjects may be offered depending upon student demand and instructor availability.
It is highly recommended that you meet with an advisor in the College of Public Health early to verify coursework for your Certificate.
Application Process for Enrollment
Enroll as a non-degree seeking student. For information see our non-degree enrollment procedures at
- You may apply and/or enroll any semester as a certificate-seeking student.
- If you are a current USF undergraduate student or earned you undergraduate degree at USF you may not earn this certificate.
Undergraduate Academic Advisor
- Schedule your advising appointment at: http://usfweb3.usf.edu/appointments/StudentSignon.asp
- Office: CPH 1039; Email: UG-PublicHealthAdvising@health.usf.edu; Phone: 813-974-4633; FAX: 813-905-9802