Global Communicable Diseases (Undergraduate Certificate)
(See also USF Undergraduate Catalog at: http://ugs.usf.edu/pdf/cat1516/18PublicHealth.pdf)
The GCD Certificate will provide a broad foundation of Global Health with a focus on Communicable/Infectious diseases for individuals interested in pursuing a career at an academic and/or research institution; or in local, state or national government, military or in the global arena. This certificate will also provide a strong foundation for individuals interested in applying into graduate research programs (such as MS, MPH, MSPH, PhD, DrPH etc) or other professional degrees at the post-graduate level.
The Certificate consists of 12 credit hours
It is recommended that students follow the sequence of courses listed below.
Required Courses (12 credit hours)
- PHC 4109 Public Health Biology (3)
- HSC 4504 Foundations of Public Health Immunology (3)
- HSC 4031 Emerging Infectious Diseases (3)
- One of the following two courses
- PHC 4592 Public Health Genetics (3)
- PHC 4101 Introduction to Geographic Information Systems (3)
It is highly recommended that you meet with an advisor in the College of Public Health early to verify coursework for your Certificate
Application Process for Enrollment
Enroll as a non-degree seeking student. For information see our non-degree enrollment procedures at
- You may apply and/or enroll any semester as a certificate-seeking student.
- If you are a current USF undergraduate student or earned you undergraduate degree at USF you may not earn this certificate.
Undergraduate Academic Advisor
- Schedule your advising appointment at: http://usfweb3.usf.edu/appointments/StudentSignon.asp
- Office: CPH 1039; Email: UG-PublicHealthAdvising@health.usf.edu; Phone: 813-974-4633; FAX: 813-905-9802