Applied Biostatistics (Online Graduate Certificate)
Biostatistics is the application of statistical methods to scientific research in health-related fields, including medicine, nursing and public health. Biostatisticians play essential roles in designing studies, analyzing data using biostatistical methodology, and developing new methods to solve challenging research problems. This graduate certificate of applied biostatistics program is a good choice for students who want to acquire data-analysis skills and gain a greater knowledge of biostatistics. Such gains of skills are useful in fields such as public health, medicine, nursing, business, education, engineering and other related areas. Upon completion of the program, the skills can be applied immediately in workplace, making the graduates more valuable problem solvers for their organizations.
This certificate is offered at the Tampa campus and fully online.
Applicants must hold an earned bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution with a minimum 3.0 GPA. Quantitative skills as demonstrated by previous courses in algebra or equivalent.
Please visit http://www.usf.edu/innovative-education/programs/graduate-certificates/application-process.aspx to access the application. In addition, to the application forms please submit:
- Official transcripts
- Letter of interest
Quantitative skills as demonstrated by previous courses in algebra or equivalent.
Total program hours: 12 credit hours minimum.
Required Courses (6 credits)
- PHC 6050 Biostatistics I (3)
- PHC 6051 Biostatistics II (3)
Elective Courses (6 credits)
- PHC 6701 Computer Applications for Public Health Researchers (3)
- PHC 6000 Epidemiology (3)
- PHC 6010 Epidemiology Methods I (3)
- PHC 6053 Categorical Data Analysis (3)
Time Limit for Completion of Certificate
Courses must be completed in two years.
Application of Certificate Courses Towards Graduate Degree
Up to 12 hours of certificate course credits may be applied to a graduate degree with departmental approval
Standardized Test Requirements
International students must submit a TOEFL score when English is not the native language. A minimum score of 550 on the paper-based test or 79 on the web-based test is required.
First, consult with the certificate program advisor and obtain an electronic course permit if necessary. Then go to http://usfonline.admin.usf.edu/, the link to OASIS, USF's online registration system. Follow directions given online.
To access online course materials, students must have the USF NetID (e-mail account). Please visit: https://netid.usf.edu/una/# to obtain the NetID.
New students, including those studying online, may obtain the USFCard. Please visit: http://www.usf.edu/it/class-prep/usf-card.aspx to obtain the USFCard.
Tuition and Fees
Standard graduate tuition rates and fees apply for graduate students who also pursue this graduate certificate and for non-degree graduate certificate students taking these courses on campus. Please visit http://www.usf.edu/innovative-education/programs/graduate-certificates/cost-to-attend.aspx for information on tuition and fees
Non-degree seeking students and transfer students may apply one course to a graduate certificate with departmental approval.
- This graduate certificate does not require that you submit GRE scores with your application
- You may apply and/or enroll any semester as a certificate-seeking student
- The College of Public Health website is http://www.publichealth.usf.edu
- The College of Public Health Epidemiology and Biostatistics website is http://health.usf.edu/publichealth/epb/index.htm
- The College of Public Health graduate certificate website is http://health.usf.edu/publichealth/catalog/2012-2013/05_gradcert.html
- The College of Public Health toll-free number is 888-USF-COPH and press 1 for Student Advising
USF College of Public Health
13201 Bruce B. Downs Blvd.
Tampa FL 33612-3805
Toll Free 888-USF-COPH (press 1 for Student Advising)